While most people love a splash of champagne on December 31st, not everyone wants to sip on it all night. Whether you're hosting or attending a New Year’s Eve party, you can incorporate amazing wines for you and your loved ones to enjoy as you welcome the new year. The wine experts at Theorem Vineyards have put together a list of wines you can serve or incorporate into any part of your New Year's Eve party.
Wine to Serve When Guests Arrive
If you're hosting a New Year's party this year, provide your guest with a light bottle of wine for them to start the night. Great options to start the night off with include Pinot Grigio, White Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc.
- White Riesling: For a great White Riesling, we recommend the 2018 Stony Hill White Riesling. This wine has appealing floral and fruity aromas and flavors. On the nose, it is vibrant and engaging notes of lime and green apple. Then it opens up on the palate with a bit of spice, followed by characteristics of ripe peace and energizing citrus and pineapple.
- Sauvignon Blanc: For the perfect Sauvignon Blanc to share with your loved ones, we recommend our 2018 Moon Mountain Sauvignon Blanc. This white wine has a perfect balance of fresh acidity and rich fruit flavors. Strikingly aromatic, the 2018 Sauvignon Blanc leaps from the glass with a beautiful array of citrus, stone fruit, flowers, herbs, and minerals. Everything translates through to the glass, with fleshy peach and ripe melon exploding on the palate. Lime zest and rocks tangle with jasmine, adding verve and complexity as it rides the long, crisp beam of acidity.
Wine to Serve During Appetizers
Once appetizers are served at your New Year's Eve party, introduce a new wine. You can seamlessly transition into a mid-bodied wine that is a little heavier than the wine your friends started with. We recommend introducing wines such as Rosé, Pinot Noir, and Syrah.
- Chardonnay: If you think your guests will enjoy Chardonnay, we recommend our Theorem Vineyards 2018 Moon Mountain Chardonnay. This Chardonnay is bright and fresh, with notes of freshly squeezed lemon, tart pineapple, lime blossom, honeysuckle, and crushed rocks. On the palate, the bright citrus notes meld with a creamy texture reminiscent of lemon meringue, with a similar ethereal lift. Just as the flavors envelop your palate, a beam of vibrant acidity slices through the creamy texture and creates a finish that is refreshingly bright and lingering.
- Pinot Noir: To pair with your appetizers, we recommend the 2016 King Richard's Pinot Noir. This wine has hints of dark fruit, bold cherry, blackberry, and purple lilacs. Plush and sophisticated with blackberry fruit and warm, inviting hints of cigar box. It has an expressive finish with fresh fruit details.
- Syrah: Syrah is popular to pair with appetizers, and it's perfect for serving during your New Year's Eve party. We recommend 2014 Constant Diamond Mountain Vineyard Syrah has a deep purple hue with aromas of clove, licorice, and a hint of black olive. Each sip delivers waves of black cherry, subtle notes of peppercorn, wild game, and an undertone of earthy tones. This Syrah finishes elegantly and smoothly.
Wine to Serve During Dinner
Dinner is an excellent time for you and your loved ones to share delicious and ultra-premium wines that pair wonderfully with your food. Whether you plan on having red or white meat, or even a vegetable dish, Theorem Vineyard has you covered.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Cabernet Sauvignon is the perfect wine to pair with red meat like filet mignon or a New York strip. We recommend adding our Voir Dire or Hawk's Prey Cabernet Sauvignon to your dinner table. Our 2013 Voir Dire has lifted aromas of fresh blackberries, violets, and wild raspberries layer on top of notes of ripe tobacco leaf, cedar, and graphite. As the wine opens, it reveals deep aromas of strawberry compote, rhubarb, and milk chocolate. Our 2016 Hawk's Prey has refined red fruit notes filled with freshness and energy that make you want to take another sip. On the palate, the wine is soft and lush with a dense core of flavors that mirror the nose. Cooler temperatures before harvest allow the vines to have a longer hangtime and maturation of tannins. The tannins are smooth and silky. While adding structure to the wine, they are also seamlessly integrated.
- Merlot: For the perfect Merlot, we recommend our 2017 Diamond Mountain Estate Merlot. This wine is a heady mix of ripe black cherries, fresh plums, milk chocolate, and roasted espresso. From the moment the wine touches your lips, it shows power, structure, and personality. As the wine glides over the mid-palate, it reveals a silky elegance wrapped in mountain tannins. The finish is long and protracted with lingering notes of ripe plums and roasted espresso.
Wine to Serve for the Midnight Toast
One of the most important drinks you will share with your friends and family during New Year's eve is the midnight toast. We have put together a few suggestions to make sure you and your loved ones sip on the perfect drink when the clock strikes twelve.
- Schramsberg Sparkling Wine: For the perfect sparkling wine, we recommend the 2015 Crémant Demi-Sec. This sparkling wine has a creamier texture than most sparkling wines, with a subtle sweetness that balances well with fruity desserts, light cakes, and crème brûlee.
- Champagne: Enjoy the perfect Champagne for your mid-night toast with the 2004 Caldwell Chateau de Boursault Champagne. With 15 years of age, its extraordinary texture, complex flavor profile, and near-perfect bead offer a richer style of Champagne that's still bright and full of life. Gorgeous oak, vanilla and brioche notes on the nose, hints of cognac on the palate, and delectable biscuit-like aromas caress your tongue like well-aged Chardonnay.
- Errier-Jouët Champagne Blanc De Blancs Brut: This vibrant and pleasing sparkling wine has aromas of wildflowers and lemon zest. It’s eminently enjoyable on its own or with a light canape. It’s available from numerous wine sellers online or from your favorite local seller.
Schedule Your Visit to Theorem Vineyards Today!
We invite you and your loved ones to start the year off right by visiting us at Theorem Vineyards. Theorem Vineyards is one of the most enchanting vineyard estates in all of Napa Valley. You and your loved ones can experience beautiful panoramic views, lovely architecture, aromatic gardens, and of course, delicious ultra-premium wines. Join us for an unparalleled wine tasting experience.
Contact us today to schedule a visit to our winery at (707) 942-4254!